Getting stronger verbal communication skills is an unending task and the following tips will – hopefully – help you to improve your verbal skills for business and private needs.
- Be friendly: Subconsciously we rather talk to people with a warm and friendly smile because they make us feel good and bring more enjoyment to our lives.
- Think before you speak: Nothing new, but it is harder to practice as it seems to be. By organizing your thoughts before speaking, you can eliminate many of the awkward pauses that occur when speaking.
- Be clear and concise: The most effective way to put your thoughts in a nutshell is to make your point of view as clear and concise as possible. Avoid using complex sentences and try to find the clearest way to make your point.
- Speak with confidence: This point will help you to build trust and to get the respect of the audience. There are several factors which can impact your ability to speak confidently, for example the subject matter, your word choice, the tone of your voice, your body language, and your ability to make direct eye contact with the audience.
- Vary your vocal tone: Speaking in a monotone voice is boring for an audience. Instead you should try to vary your vocal tone to add emphasis to important points. This is a way to keep your audience engaged in the message.
- Be a good listener: Being a good listener is as important as being a good speaker, and it will improve the quality of your verbal interactions. It shows the people you are speaking to that you care about their ideas, and it helps ensure you understand their needs.
- Be aware of your body language: Your body language significantly impacts the way others interpret what you say. Pay attention to the gestures you make, your facial expressions, and your body language.
- Think about the knowledge of your audience: When you have a strong knowledge of a topic doesn’t mean the people you are speaking to have the same knowledge as you. Try to think about how someone else will understand what you are trying to communicate.
- Don’t talk too much: Very few people like to be around by someone who talks too much and dominates the conversation.
- Be authentic: People are attracted to someone who speaks from the heart and is genuine, transparent, and real.
Now… let’s start practicing!